I made these squash muffins last year after seeing the pictures at Kitchen Kung Fu. The recipe is from the 7/22/09 CSA newsletter.
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
* 2/3 cup grated yellow squash
* 1 egg, beaten
* 3/4 cup milk
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and squash in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
2. Combine egg, milk and oil; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
3. Spoon batter into lightly greased muffin pans, filling two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove muffins from pans immediately.
Yields 1 dozen.
They were tasty (especially with butter and honey) and went great with leftover vegetable soup. They had zero squash taste as far as I could tell, and I’m not sure whether that’s a plus or a minus. Either way, I’m glad to have this recipe. I don’t seem to have extra squash much, but it’s good to have an emergency plan.