Here’s a bread recipe from MotherEarth News. It’s called Dutch Oven Beer Bread, or Bread Even Susan Can Make. The recipe is as user-stupid as they come.
- 3 cups of self-rising flour (or 3 cups all purpose + 1 ½ tbsp baking power and 1 ½ tsp salt)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 bottle of beer (I’ve read you can also use ginger ale or anything fizzy.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a Dutch oven (if it’s not well-seasoned)
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Pour in the beer. Don’t over mix. White streaks are okay.
- Dump the dough in the Dutch oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- before baking
No kneading, no rising, no nothing. And the results were awesome. That’s what Chris kept saying over supper: “This is awesome.” The bread is a little crunchy on the outside and wonderfully chewy on the inside. The beer and sugar add just enough flavor. I used an amber ale although it’ll be fun to experiment with different beers. I could easily see us making this bread once a week this winter. Great for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. An epic win, as the kids say.