Now that it’s July, we’ll be getting corn regularly for a while. Here are two fast ideas for using sweet corn.
Microwave corn-on-the cob
- Put two ears of corn, husk and all, in the microwave for 2 x2 minutes, turning half-way through.
- Chop off the ends, get rid of the silk, and serve with butter and pepper.
Quick-cooked sweet corn
This one’s my favorite. It tastes better than popcorn. You have to go to the trouble of stripping the kernels, but it’s totally worth it. This year, I bought a kernel stripper.
It works better than a knife because the kernels don’t go flying anywhere.
- Strip the kernels from the cobs (1 per person).
- Melt 1/2 to 1 tablespoons of butter in a skillet.
- Add the corn, some salt, and black pepper.
- Cook, stirring, on medium-high until the kernels start to sizzle and get the tiniest bit brown.